1954 AJS E95 "Porcupine"
2009 Concours d’Elegance
First in Class Winner
Introduced in 1952, the E95 was a much-redesigned version of the E90 horizontal twin, which was known as the Porcupine due to the spiky finning on the cylinder head. The original design was drawn pre-WWII when supercharging was legal. When racing resumed in the 40s, supercharging was banned and the Porcupine was uncompetitive. With the redesign, cylinders were given a 45° angle to shorten the wheelbase to improve handling. While fast, the machines were not reliable, and in 1954 were abandoned in favor of the G45 twin, a race version of the G9 street bike.
Pebble Beach photos courtesy of Bob Stokstap Photography